That said, if you don't buy it you must make it. What ensued was a long process of trial and error. What I realized with my delicate and acne-prone, yet still dry and occasionally crinkly skin was that I needed to be careful. Most of the natural skin care cream recipes I came across requred beeswax, which clogs pores, and some variety of oils including castor oil which can cause breakouts for me. So here is what I discovered: there are many different oils available and are all very different. What I found to be the best, hands down, for a variety of conditions, is moisturizing, nurturing, and yet not pore-clogging is coconut oil. This amazing substance, solid at room temperature is wonderful and incredibly healthy oil with which to cook, nourish the hair, help clear wrinkles, eczema, and psoriasis. It helps speed wound healing, and even seems to even out the texture and tone of skin.
For most skin, here is a customizable recipe for an easy-to-make, delightful face cream that I love and use daily.
Find a few small 2-6 oz jars you can have ready to house your mixture.
In a double boiler combine
- 2 cups of virgin, organic coconut oil. This may be softened in a pan of hot water first.
- 1/2 cup liquid oil of your choice. (jojoba if you break out easily, olive oil for mature skin less likely to break out, almond oil for very dry skin.)
- 10 drops of Neem oil (excellent for dry skin, any skin inflammation and restoring skins natural elasticity. It has a strong smell, so essential oils are necessary to add with this ingredient.)
- 25 drops essential oil. Combine two or three as you like: lavender essential oil for calming the skin, especially sun-damanged skin. Rosemary, sandalwood, carrot seed, or jasmine essential oils for mature, dry, wrinkle-prone skin. Patchouli for scar tissue. Roman chamomile for cooling inflammation, redness, especially with eczema or psoriasis. (avoid clove, cinnamon, and cypress ess.oils which can burn or are photosensitive.)
- In a cheesecloth (optional) you can simmer any of the above whole herb for 15 minutes, squeeze out in the final product.