Wednesday, February 20, 2013

How to Make Your Own Face Cream

I gave up store bought skin creams years ago when my sensitive skin seemed to react to everything, and I realized during a certain physiology lecture that everything I was putting on my skin was quickly absorbed into my bloodstream.  My rule of thumb has become, "If you wouldn't eat it, don't put it on your skin."  And if you've scrutinized the ingredient list of most moisturizers, you know that they are often industrial ingredients and petrochemicals which at best (ultimately) dry out our skin and at worst cause disease.  Check out this link to find out what chemicals in your skin care routine can cause cancer: http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/cosmetics/cosmetics_personal_care.htm

That said, if you don't buy it you must make it.  What ensued was a long process of trial and error.  What I realized with my delicate and acne-prone, yet still dry and occasionally crinkly skin was that I needed to be careful.  Most of the natural skin care cream recipes I came across requred beeswax, which clogs pores, and some variety of oils including castor oil which can cause breakouts for me.  So here is what I discovered:  there are many different oils available and are all very different.  What I found to be the best, hands down, for a variety of conditions, is moisturizing, nurturing, and yet not pore-clogging is coconut oil.  This amazing substance, solid at room temperature is wonderful and incredibly healthy oil with which to cook, nourish the hair,  help clear wrinkles, eczema, and psoriasis.  It helps speed wound healing, and even seems to even out the texture and tone of skin. 

For most skin, here is a customizable recipe for an easy-to-make, delightful face cream that I love and use daily. 

Find a few small 2-6 oz jars you can have ready to house your mixture.

In a double boiler combine

  • 2 cups of virgin, organic coconut oil.  This may be softened in a pan of hot water first.
  • 1/2 cup liquid oil of your choice.  (jojoba if you break out easily, olive oil for mature skin less likely to break out, almond oil for very dry skin.)
  • 10 drops of Neem oil (excellent for dry skin, any skin inflammation and restoring skins natural elasticity.  It has a strong smell, so essential oils are necessary to add with this ingredient.)
  • 25 drops essential oil.  Combine two or three as you like:  lavender essential oil for calming the skin, especially sun-damanged skin.  Rosemary, sandalwood, carrot seed, or jasmine essential oils for mature, dry, wrinkle-prone skin.  Patchouli for scar tissue.  Roman chamomile for cooling inflammation, redness, especially with eczema or psoriasis.  (avoid clove, cinnamon, and cypress ess.oils which can burn or are photosensitive.)
  • In a cheesecloth (optional) you can simmer any of the above whole herb for 15 minutes, squeeze out in the final product.
Except for the essential oils, stir these ingredients together in the double boiler until liquid and fully mixed.  If you want to simmer whole herbs, allow to simmer longer.  Pour out into containers and let sit to cool uncovered for 15 minutes.  Now add the 25 drops of essential oil split evenly between jars and stir thoroughly. (Note: some essential oils are stronger than others.  Use your descretion in amount per container.)   Cover immediately and let sit overnight to harden fully.  Keep any oils that you don't use or give away in the fridge until you are ready to use.



4 comments:

Benzaderm Wash | Benzaderm Wash Aloe Vera said...

Wow nice post about how to make your own face cream. i liked this post, thanks for sharing with us nice post. great job.. really helpful post.. you can also visit:- skindirect.com

Cara, Skin Care Counsel said...

Thanks for sharing these recipes. I should try them very soon. I have found a list of night creams that help make the skin look glowing http://www.skincarecounsel.com/the-best-night-cream-moisturizer-for-glowing-skin hyft4h56

Unknown said...

I love the way you wrote this article and your a strong woman with a confidence. I always love the DIY natural cream, usually I combined it with my Lifecell natural wrinkle cream for my wrinkles and adding with my DIY cream. Its the best result for me.

Facial Cream said...

Thank you for you're post! I am just wondering:

- Do you put the cream on every morning or every evening? Or both?

- When you put the cream on: do you leave it 5, 10, 15 minuts (or even longer) and then wash it off?

Thank you